We use advanced security systems and software to protect your account from unauthorized use.
Log on security
You choose your own log on details when you register for Internet Banking – which makes them unique, secure and easy to remember. Each time you log on, you'll be asked for your Personal Access Number, the answer to a verification question and a unique code your personal HSBC Security Device will generate.
If you forget your HSBC Security Device, don't worry, you can use your verification answer and password to log on. We also use an automatic time-out feature that ends your Internet Banking session if you forget to log out – so your details aren't left on your computer.
HSBC takes information security seriously and we want to ensure the handling of our customers’ data is protected using high security standards.
As part of our continuous drive to improve information security online and protect sensitive customer information from unintended users, HSBC will introduce new security measures to its Personal Internet Banking (PIB) service. Sensitive data, such as account number will be partially masked on your PIB screens. All other information will not be affected.
Secure web browsing
Trusteer Rapport software from the security experts Trusteer safeguards your HSBC Personal Internet Banking service by:
- Locking down the connection between your internet browser and HSBC
- Checking that you've accessed a genuine HSBC website. If you haven't, then it stops your data going to a counterfeit website
HSBC Security Device
As the name suggests, this device is like a front door key for your HSBC Personal Internet Banking. It is roughly half the size of a credit card and looks a bit like a calculator. It uses advanced technology to give you a unique passcode every time you log on and make a transfer or payment.
Throughout history, people have always looked for ingenious ways to protect their treasure. It's the same online. We take online security very seriously. HSBC Security Device is another way to protect your personal treasure.
Learn more about HSBC Security Device
Card fraud protection
We take a number of preventive measures to protect you against card fraud.
- If your card is lost or stolen, at home or overseas, contact us immediately and we'll cancel it immediately and issue a replacement.
- Our advanced fraud detection system monitors your account for any unusual activity.
- Chip & PIN technology (where available) stops your card details from being copied and prevents anyone using your card without your PIN.